Cats have always been beloved for their cuteness, but did you know that they are also full of surprises? In this blog post, we will reveal 10 fun, interesting, and sometimes funny facts about cats that you might not have known before.
- Did you know that cats have 32 muscles in each ear? This allows them to rotate their ears independently of each other by 180 degrees, making them super effective at detecting prey. With their exceptional hearing, cats can distinguish between different sounds, so if your cat seems to be ignoring you, it might just be pretending!
- Humans have unique fingerprints, and cats have their own type of “fingerprint” too! Each cat has a unique pattern on its nose, making your furry friend even more special and one-of-a-kind.
- You might not have guessed it, but the inventor of the cat flap was none other than Isaac Newton, the famous physicist who discovered gravity. Newton was also a philosopher, mathematician, astronomer, theologian, and alchemist, and his curiosity led him to create this brilliant invention that has helped countless cats come and go as they please.
- Cats use their whiskers to measure the size of openings. The whiskers are as wide as the cat’s body, so if they can’t fit through a space, their whiskers will tell them before they get stuck.
- In ancient Egypt, cats were considered to be gods and were revered above all other animals. They were so highly regarded that they were mummified when they died and had monuments and images created in their honor. The Egyptians believed that cats had protective, healing, and fertility powers.
- When you see a cat “kneading” with its paws, it’s actually marking its territory with a unique scent. Cats have sweat glands on their paws, and by moving them up and down, they are leaving a scent that tells other cats that this is their domain.
- The oldest cat on record lived to be an incredible 38 years and 3 days old! Creme Puff, the cat in question, lived a long and happy life, and her owner, Jake Perry, had previously held the record for the oldest cat with his previous feline friend who lived to be 34 years old.
- Cats are known for their speed and agility, and some of them can run up to 50 km per hour! The Egyptian Mau is the fastest cat breed, and they use their speed to catch prey and escape danger.
- You might have heard of Grumpy Cat, the famous feline with a permanent frown. Her real name is Tardar Sauce, and she became an internet sensation in 2012 when her picture went viral. She has since become a household name and has even had a movie made about her!
- Finally, did you know that the Guinness Book of World Records has recognized Omar, a Maine Coon from Australia, as the longest cat in the world? Omar measures an impressive 120 cm long and weighs 14 kilos! We can only imagine how much he loves scratching posts.
So there you have it, 10 fascinating facts about cats that you might not have known before. Which fact surprised you the most?